Anticipated Serendipity II

Monday, December 12, 2005

It's over!!!!!! Next????

THANK GAWD IT'S FINALLY OVER!!! Phew! The nite of the Conlay Salsa Championship finals was one of the longest freakin nites of my life! My dear lucky pardner managed to pick the last number for us i.e. #12. Hehe, before D-Day, I was telling him 'eh, try ur lucky hand at getting us the last spot again, k'... and he really did!! But boy did I regret it when we had to wait so dumb freakin long for our turn to arrive!!

As there were 12 couples that nite, how the organizers arranged it was for the first 6 couples to do their General Dance and routines... then the next 6 couples in the same format. So we waited and waited... and waited some more till our turn finally came for our General Dance. And let's just say, this was one of my worst nites coz (1) I couldn't follow for nuts! I think I must've gone onto the dancefloor with my brains left behind or sumthin coz I just couldn't get the leads (2) Had a wardrobe malfunction where my shoe heel got stuck to my skirt and it pulled the blurdy thing down! ARGH! The horror!! I was just soooooo glad that we were at the back at this time so the judges (hopefully!) didn't see it. Gawd, one of my worst nightmares! It was so freakin embarrassing!!!! ARGH!

Done with the General Dance... waited and waited and waited some more till it was our turn for our showcase. By this time, I was almost ready to collapse from exhaustion. According to some, we looked really tired during our showcase. And I stumbled a lil' at one of our new moves. But managed to hang on till the very end. Gosh, the sheer relief when we were in our final pose and the song ended!

Anyway, more waiting coz the judges were apparently calculating the scores. But from wat I've been told, they needn't have bothered anyway since the majority of the judges were apparently from the same 'camp' and would've probably already have pre-determined the winning couples and obviously, our HE couples did not score very high.

The Results?
The champions were students of the organizer and the 1st runner-up is the brother of one of the judges. Kenneth + Wendy only managed 2nd runner-up... WTF?! I've seen most of these ppl perform and their standard of salsa is nowhere near as smooth and groovy as Kenneth + Wendy!!! And the other HE couples, for that matter! I knew we probably didn't stand a chance of winning top 3 after I'd screwed up the General Dance and I didn't really care abt winning coz of the stupid T&C that came with winning (i.e. winning couples are bound to represent Conlay for a year or sumthin). Of course, it would've been nice to win but me + partner had already set our expectations before the finals so we weren't too disappointed. But honestly! The results are such an insult to the salsa community! How the hell do they expect to raise the standards of salsa in KL/M'sia if this is how they judge competitions?! And guess wat? We managed to win Best Costume and this was apparently coz the judge remembered that I winked at him during the routine *rolling eyes* sheeessshhh... Read my sis' review of the results. Anyway, to all HE couples, regardless of the results, u guys are ALL WINNERS!!! Great job! *BIG HUG* :o)

Anyway, am just glad it's over. Overall, we had a lot of fun learning the new moves and me + partner managed to not kill each other throughout the process. I still maintain that he has the patience of a saint! lol! The entire process was a great learning experience for me and I'd like to think that it's made me a lil' wiser.

Now, on to the next event..... The Night of Elegance i.e. HE-organized salsa NY party!!!! Woo hooo!!!! :o) We're performing for this event and we're planning to put in at least one lift into our routine (we'd wanted to do this for the competition but the Amateur R&R prohibited us from doing this as we had to keep one foot on the ground at all times). We'd already picked out a couple of lifts to try out... hehe... so let's see how it goes... ;o)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home