Anticipated Serendipity II

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

3 days to showtime!!!

Well, we've 3 days left till the competition. This evening, we had an impromptu audience, a pre-preview, so to speak, hehe. We = me + Chin Lai, Eric + Peggy. My sis and Aisha were the audience... hehe... So anyway, we tried to do a mock of the General Dancing part of the competition. Oh maaaaannnn!! Disaster!! At least, for me it was. I think I was too used to dancing our routine that I'd forgotten to how to follow and poor poor Chin Lai, had to get black looks and hisses from me during the dance! Gawd, how mortifying! Points to self:
  1. Just follow the blurdy leads and dun think so much!
  2. Even if i dunno wat the lead is, just FAKE IT!
  3. Look at my partner, and as always... smile, smile, SMILE!!!!!

Next, we performed our routine. We added 1 more member of the audience here : Erin. I think we were ok during the routine but maybe coz we were anxious, we sped up a bit and went ahead of the music in a few parts. Points to self:

  1. Look at the audience, get them 'involved' in the dance.
  2. Look at my partner (yes yes, I've been neglecting the poor guy)
  3. And for gawd's sake, look like I'm enjoying the blurdy dance! lol! I really gotta work on this bit... coz i feel like i'm smiling, but unfortunately, the audience says otherwise so... i think i really gotta fake that smile! Ugh!

The comments from the 'audience' on stuff that we (particularly I) need to work on are as above. Positive comments were that we're fine, technically. Sis even said we were too clean! Is there such a thing ah??? I think that means too choreographed, which i dun think is a good thing though... hhmmm... Technically ok, but no feeling... damn, if there's one thing i suck at is putting the 'feel' into the dance. I think u could get me to do almost any move and i'd probably get it technically correct but when it comes to the 'feel', that's where i struggle the most... sigh... so, loads of stuff to work on with only 3 days to go! *GASP!*

Also, I've observed that competitions bring out the best and worst in ppl. Aisha says during a competition, a person's personality is magnified 10x! So, if i'm an anal person in normal situations, my anal-ness is 10x more during a competition! SHITE! And I think it's true... i'm such a stickler for detail!! Not only in competitions but also when I have performances. I need to get everything absolutely correct on the dot! My poor partner... am so glad that he has the patience of a saint. Other guys would've told me to take a hike by now! lol!

Another thing I've observed is that sometimes, the normal camaraderie between friends gets lost somewhere in the process of preparing for a competition, due to the competitiveness or for whatever reason. I dunno abt others but for me, I just wanna do a clean routine and I dun really care abt wat other competitors are doing. It's more important to me to put on a good, clean show rather than be as canggih or more canggih than the other competitors. So I think I'm competing more with myself rather than other ppl i.e. pushing myself to see how 'perfect' a show I can put on (of course, we all know there's no such thing as a PERFECT show. It's how well we recover and cover up the mistakes. lol!). Of course, it'll be great to win a title and prize (if any) but at the end of the day, these things are just short-term anyway. The most important thing, to me, are the learnings (good and bad) that we get from the entire experience. And it'd be really cool if all competitors could be friendly with each other and feed off each other's positive vibes rather than putting on the 'i'm-holier-than-thou', 'no-friends-between-competitors' or similar attitude. It makes the situation so much less tense and there's good feeling all around. It's really quite apparent when suddenly some of them are so friendly to everyone around you except to you and ur partner...hhmm... But that said, everyone has their own way of dealing with the stress of competing and all, so to each his/her own, i guess. Some would argue that it IS a competition, after all. Or maybe, it's just me being too sensitive to my surroundings. I'd initially thought maybe it was me who's putting on my 'dun-mess-with-me' face coz u know how ppl seem to reciprocate wat u display to them? But have gotten feedback that I'm no more friendlier than I normally am i.e. I'm like how I usually am la, nothing more, nothing less so nothing I can fix on my side. Ah well, I think I'm getting on ok with most of my competitors (those that I know la) so it's not too bad really... and I'd like to think we give each other constructive feedback on wat we each can improve on, like today, during the pre-preview, hehe.

To all the competitors of the Conlay Salsa Competition, ALL THE BEST! :o)

And most of all, to my dear, patient partner (i'm sure he's dying to strangle me by now! lol!), u know wat u stand to get if we win BUT only if i call the shots!! lol! JUST KIDDING LA!!! I really dun care if we win or not... it's been really fun working with u on this, let's do it again next yr?? Haha, i can see u running for ur life! lol! Kidding again la... this is for ur viewing pleasure... sorry, i cannot afford the real thing, copy+paste is all i can do, or perhaps u'd rather go test-drive one, which I'm sure u've already done but hey, can go do it again, rite? ;o)


(courtesy of the BMW website)

I think i need to go work on my smile in my sleep now... zzzzzzz...

11 Comments:

  • Wow I wonder who’s been sending such 'i'm-holier-than-thou', 'no-friends-between-competitors' vibes. I totally agree that people should take competitions with open minds and not get overly competitive, esp. among friends. As far as constructive comments go, totally encouraged them and am also happy to give as long as people are willing to hear or want them. But some people appear not to like comments made by their counterparts. I think the saddest part is when some feel perhaps certain things should be kept to the couple themselves and not shared just becos they’ve become competitors. Sigh! Or perhaps some are just so oblivious to the way they appear to others? Hmm.... Anyway, the whole point of the competition is to have fun…TOGETHER!! Init??

    -wen-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 22, 2005 11:11 AM  

  • hahah! yes, your "analness" shows clear through. just enjoy yourself and relax lah. i think your routine is the best of all. techincally interesting and very nice and neat and lots of things to look at. choreography nicely thought out. all you need to do is add some feeling into it. smile. and stop blaming chin lai for everything!

    By Blogger Ashkarya, at November 22, 2005 12:27 PM  

  • PL : I do NOT blame Chin Lai for everything! :p

    Wen : Yep, totally agree! We should all relax and just have fun together...

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at November 22, 2005 2:21 PM  

  • I could have sworn that I was being blammed...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 22, 2005 2:28 PM  

  • ARGH!!! U guys are driving me nuts!!! Ok ok... i was a lil' upset coz Mr Ti Chin Lai didn't wanna figure out a set of moves that he wanted to do for the General Dance and I, being the anal and paranoid one, hate surprises and some more this fella likes to experiment soooo one fear led to another and voila! U have a hissy, black-faced AL :p Which will NOT happen today and tomorrow and the day after as I intend to reverberate only positive vibes... I'll be so positive that u'd need a shield to protect urselves from an overdose of positive rays! Haha! Oh gawd, I think i've lost it... *imaginary birds flying around head*

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at November 22, 2005 2:34 PM  

  • sigh...ever the anal retentive. what's wrong with surprises? i expect and love surprises everytime i dance with a different person. ok, ok, it's a competition but all the more you should lighten up. and practice covering up the fact that you don't know it's a surprise. Positive rays? Yeah right! Like THAT'S ever going to happen!

    By Blogger Ashkarya, at November 22, 2005 6:45 PM  

  • surprises are pleasant to the audience, and yeah sometimes prolly when u're dancing with a new person, but definitely not to a partner during competition :)

    coz u might lose concentration and skip a beat, lose track of everything etc etc

    By Blogger ryuu, at November 23, 2005 4:14 AM  

  • Yeah, exactly! I'm fine with surprises during social dancing, no problem... bring it on! lol! But definitely not during a competition.

    PL : Look who's being the negative one here... tsk tsk... and I'm supposed to be positive with so much negativeness around me, huh??? :p

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at November 23, 2005 9:57 AM  

  • btw, ryuu... who are u? u seem to be someone i know... or know of. can u pls ID urself? i'd like to know who comments on my blog. Thanks...

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at November 23, 2005 3:37 PM  

  • Ok.. ok.. we'll go through a few routines later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 23, 2005 4:00 PM  

  • not even routines laaa.. just some moves e.g. roti canai, slingshot, dynamo, copa, etc. etc... i dun even need to know the order of the moves. just let me know an idea of wat move u'll be doing is fine :D

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at November 23, 2005 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home