Anticipated Serendipity II

Thursday, October 06, 2005

YES! It's DONE!!

Phew!! Finally!!! Made it thru the performance today... and survived to tell the tale! lol! One down, 2 more to go... i.e. temple performance on Sunday and Vijayadasami next Wednesday.

Was on half-day leave today. Went to meet Christine @ Brickfields to do some last minute shopping for our Navarathri items and had lunch. Went to do my eyebrows and got home @ 4pm. Packed my stuff, plucked my chrysanthemum petals... before I knew it, it was already 4:30! Shites! Was supposed to leave house @ 5pm coz Christine told me the day before, her friend got caught in a massive traffic jam from Subang to KL (he'd left @ 6pm and arrived @ Sutra after 9!). So did my hair and put on part of my make-up and dashed outta the house coz I figured I could to the rest @ Sutra. At least I'll get there early and not have to rush. So got outta the house around 5:50pm and arrived @ Sutra around 6:40pm. Put on the rest of my makeup (it was minimal this time around, just the dots around the pottu and eyes drawn, of course). Tied my saree and then it was time for warm-up.

After the warm-up, was standing around... coz it seemed that it was raining/drizzling so we were to perform in the studio itself. But I guess the rain stopped so thank gawd, the audience moved back outside! Unfortunately, it was still drizzling so the floor was quite slippery :o(

Item #1 : Bakra Tunda
I think it started out ok... the floor wasn't really wet yet. But it continued drizzling... and the standing around after the warm-up had cooled down my muscles so I couldn't balance for shite! Wat's worse is that Bakra Tunda has soooo many of those one-leg balancing poses! I didn't manage to do it all of it... had to put my leg down on some coz i was just too unstable and unfocused coz all i could think of was, "damn damn, the floor's wet.. better spin/turn slow so I won't fall flat on my face!". On the whole, I could remember most of Bakra Tunda so it wasn't as bad as I 'd thought, though obviously there were mistakes here and there...

Item #2 : Lakya Sindura
After Bakra Tunda, the junior group did Lakya Sindura while we caught out breath and got ready for Shtai.

Item #3 : Shtai
Of all the Odissi dances that I've learnt thus far, this is the most familiar and comfortable dance for me coz I've done it millions of times and as soon as I hear the music, I'd know wat to do. But guess wat??????? The only dance that I had to screw up badly, right in front of the audience (coz I was standing in front), was this dance! ARGH! Wat's wrong with me?! ok... wat happened was (1) When we'd entered and starting walking around on the stage. Heard the music and thought "oh no, oh no! we're supposed to 'open' soon" coz the entrance music was short. So I made a sharp right turn (a BIG NO-NO) and got to the front, coz that's where I was supposed to be... (2) Right smack in the middle of the dance, my mind started drifting and next thing I know, I totally blanked out! ARGH! How absolutely horrifying!!! And I was standing right in the blurdy front! Dammit! It was terrible coz I made that "oh-shit-wat-the-hell-am-i-doing" face and obviously the audience could see that... so no choice but to recover as fast and as natural as I could and continue. But it was soooooo freakin awful! I guess this was a case of overconfidence.. bah! Got thru the rest of the dance without any other incidents.

Item #4: Lalitha Lavanga
This item was ok, not too bad coz we'd done it tons of times during our Alarippu to Moksha rehearsals early this year. Still got mistakes here and there but as I was standing somewhere in the middle right, it wasn't too bad coz not smack in front of the audience.

Item #5 : Kalyan Pallavi
This is the killer dance... coz it's soooooo long (12+ mins) and very vigorous almost throughout the entire song. Each time I do it during class, I'd be panting by then end of it! But most surprisingly, I felt ok today... it wasn't as strenuous as normal. And the blank-outs that I was expecting didn't occur! WOW! I managed to get thru it without any obvious mistakes! Maybe it was coz I was somewhat relaxed already and not nervous. See, goes to show that mustn't ever be too confident, else something will go wrong!

Item #6 : Shankarabaranam
This was done by the seniors... didn't get to see it coz was busy recuperating after Kalyan Pallavi.

Item #7 : Mohane Deli Chahi
This is another dance that I'd never learnt right from the beginning, just picked up bits and pieces as we went along. Slow enuf to cheat a lil' here and there... hehe...

Item #8 : Moksha
This is the best item coz (1) it's short, only 2 mins (2) it's a dance of joy and release (3) signifies the end of the entire program i.e. last item in the program. Sometimes, Ramli would join us for this dance. How cool is that?? Our guru dancing with us... hehe...

Well, here u have it! chronology of events for tonite. Am writing this @ 1:28am so i hope there's not too many errors! lol!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home