Anticipated Serendipity II

Monday, May 28, 2007

Revolting Sights

I was at the Tmn. Tun pasar malam yesterday evening to look for my favourite boiled peanuts. As I was walking along, I passed by a few vendors selling meat - chicken, beef, and I don't know what else as I wasn't looking and trying to pass by as fast as I could (I don't like the meat stalls, for its smell and sight of raw meat). Then I noticed a most revolting sight. At one of the beef vendors, there was a full head of cow in the middle of the table! It wasn't a skinned head of cow; it was the complete head of cow, with it's bits of fur visible!

Yeck!! I know they are selling beef; is there a need to display the dead animal's head to drive the point to potential customers what they are selling?

Yucks... I coulnd't find my boiled peanuts vendor so I did an about-turn and left. After seeing the cow's head, I quite lost my appetite for anything.

**********

Another quite revolting sight, in my opinion, is the suckling pig served at Chinese restaurants. For those who are not familiar, the suckling pig is a Chinese delicacy, which is actually a piglet, roasted until it's flesh and skin is crispy and golden brown. Read here for more description. So, these restaurants would serve this dish on a large plate, chopped up into rectangular bite-sized pieces and arranged to form a shape of a flattened pig on the plate, complete with its head and hooves, all cooked of course.

Each time I see this dish being served (usually its a mid-course dish), it would turn me off the rest of the dinner coz I just feel so sorry for the piglet. I mean, it's just a baby. And piglets, to me, are pink bundles of cuteness (I haven't seen one up close). And for it to end up on the dinner table before it had a chance to grow up is quite sad. And to make matters worse, it is served with its head staring back at you at the dinner table. Bleck.

Same thing goes with lamb. But at least, they don't serve lamb dishes with its head on the plate.

o_O

**********

No, I don't eat pork, beef, lamb, mutton, venison, ostrich meat or any other meat except for fish, some seafood and very rarely, chicken.

By choice, not for any religious reasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home