Anticipated Serendipity II

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Anyone know how to make more $$$???

I found out today that the poverty line in Klang Valley is RM1,500.

WTF???!!! And to think that job postings these days still advertise salaries BELOW RM1,500!!!

ACK!

How to survive when the price of everything is skyrocketing while our salaries remain static????

Someone tell me how?????

Case in point #1: When I was in the States and working at my first job, I was paid about USD2,000 a month, before taxes. A bottle of St. Ives shower gel was about USD3.49. When I came back to M'sia and started working in KL, I was earning about RM2,000 a month (I wasn't in the taxable range then). The same bottle of St. Ives shower gel was RM15.90. If my maths is correct, the bottle of St. Ives shower gel costs about 350% more in KL as compared to the States. But the salary I earn is a dollar for dollar in RM.

The prices of books sold at our bookstores here are a direct conversion from the foreign currency in which they are imported.

Case in point #2: I bought this book "The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World" for RM72.19 at Kinokuniya. The list price of this book in the States is USD17.95 (or cheaper at discount stores). Even though my salary now is somewhat significantly higher than what I started out with (i.e. RM2,000), I doubt if I can afford many more books when the prices are converted directly from the foreign country in which they are imported. And we're supposed to cultivate the reading culture in M'sia rite? Errr, how to get our hands on interesting and thought-stimulating books when we can't afford them?!

I think sooner or later, I'll just have to stay at home and amuse myself with the household utensils I have at home coz I dun think I'll be able to afford to pay for gas to drive out and pay toll, eat out, go to clubs, take my dance lessons... not with the price of everything else increasing like nobody's business while my salary remains static.

o_O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home