Anticipated Serendipity II

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Priorities change...so do dreams...

When I was younger, I'd dreamt of having a high-flying career that would enable me to fly all over the world to conduct business, have my entourage of assistants at my disposal, make critical decisions to close a deal. Heck, when a local TV station came to my school to interview selected students on what they would like to be in the future (can't remember what was the occasion... could be for Merdeka Day), I'd even said "I aim to be a CEO of an established multinational firm"... I'm laughing to myself, now that I'm thinking back to that moment.

Now that I'm older and a bit wiser, my dreams of being a high-powered executive has flown out the door completely. Why? My priorities have changed. Now, even though we're just some fresh entry-level grad or senior executive (not even managerial level yet), we're worked to the bone, a lot of times way past official working hours and even on off days. A lot of us dun have much of a personal life, let alone a social life. And from all the features written about female CEOs or those in similar positions, how many are either single or divorced?? From my observation, the workplace is brutal, especially if you're female and the higher up on the corporate ladder.

Now, I am content with a desk job that allows me a reasonable amount of challenges but one which also allows me have some time outside of work to call my own. Time which I can spend with my family and friends. Time to carry out activities that I enjoy. Time to run errands which I can't afford to spend the time to do during the weekdays.

I dun mind facing the PC the entire day. Really. I dun care about not being able to travel for work. I dun care about having tons of assistants at my disposal. I dun care about bringing home a high salary (something reasonable that allows me to enjoy a few creature comforts is sufficient).

But I do care about having sufficient rest everyday. I do care about having the time to spend with the people I care about. I do care about having the time to be able to do things that I enjoy doing.

I've said in a previous post. Life is short. Do the things that you really desire as soon as you can... before you regret it later and think about the "If only I had...". Work is not everything (except for those who choose to make their work their life).

Life is short. Live it.

2 Comments:

  • Hi,
    Have you watched "click"? It's a movie by Adam Sandler. It delivers the same message as yours. I think you will like that movie as i do.

    Yes, work is not everything in your life!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 10, 2006 11:48 AM  

  • No, I haven't watched the movie. No time :o(

    I'm sure there are quite no. of ppl who share the same sentiments as we do abt balancing work and personal life. Unfortunately, employers in KL (or maybe the rest of the country) dun seem to understand that. All they do is milk their employees for all their worth and we're supposed to be at their disposal at all times... weekends, days off, u name it.

    Sigh... wat to do... have to TRY to do all we can to have a life to call our own.

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at September 10, 2006 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home