Anticipated Serendipity II

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Only Thing Constant is Change

I have to admit. I've never been fond of Change. In fact, I quite detest her. But I have to face it. The only thing constant in life is Change.

See, I like things to be just as I want them to be, like how I'm used to them. If something out of the ordinary happens and messes up my routine, I'd get flustered and lose my steam. It's not that I can't handle it, but I prefer things as they are, if at all possible.

So anyway, I've had the opportunity to experience the many faces of Change throughout the recent years, the 2nd most recent being that I've found my better half, which is the most significant AND good change to happen :o)

The latest Change event to happen was when I received my offer letter (last Friday) from the company that I'd interviewed with about a month or so ago and me handing in my resignation letter to my boss this morning. I would've been ok with my decision if my boss had just accepted my resignation with a "Oh, I'm sorry that you've decided to leave but all the best to you in your future" but when she went "Iiiieeerrrr, you're going to that place ah?", my self-doubt came flooding all over me again. I KNOW where I'm going is gonna be vastly different from all the places I've worked at, and I know coz everyone from my friend who'd given me the lead (to whom I'd be reporting), to the dept manager to interviewed me, to my current colleague who I'd shared this info with, to the Hiring Manager with whom I'd discussed my package terms. All of these ppl had told me more than a few times that I'm gonna have a culture shock when I get there. And I think I've more or less come to terms with this i.e. I have to learn to be more patient and adopt a 'softer' approach to get things done instead of my current "I dun care how u do it, just get it it done by this date" method. Which has worked reasonably well at my current and previous environment but apparently will backfire at the new place. So ok, will have to learn to be more patient.

In addition to that, the boss also said, "If you were going to Co. A or even Co. B, I'd be glad to let you go. But I dun see ur move to Co. C as a step forward. I hope u won't stay there and rot. " But she was quick to add "But I dun think u will lar."And I went "What do u mean?" She said "As in, u learn all u can at that place and max 2 yrs, u should leave" So, I'm sitting there, thinking "Am I making the biggest mistake in my entire career life?!" coz I do like and respect my current boss and I do value her opinions coz she's an expert in the industry and I'd like to believe that she's looking out for me. But then again, it's business. She could be psycho-ing me. I dunno.

Sigh... so anyway, my mind's made up. Too late to back out now. Just gotta forge ahead and think positive i.e. Never try, never know, as wat my colleague keeps trying to drill into my head. Anyway, I'm not that ambitious i.e. I dun wanna be a CEO or hold a high position in management. Max middle management is enuf for me. Plus, if I do get bored or find it doesn't work out at the new place, can always look for another job (easier said than done but the option's there). Plus, I'm earning significantly more at the new place. At least, I feel it's significantly more, given the fact that I didn't get any pay increase when I moved to the current place. But I was desperate at that time so I just grabbed anything that came by.

I guess when it comes down to it, Change = Risk = Anything Could Happen. Be it good or bad. And the only way to find out is to actually just do it and learn from it. Nothing comes easy/simple and every change we make involves a certain amount of risk. Dun make the change and I'd ask myself "Wat if..." Make the change and I'd also ask myself "Wat if..."

So... I'll be off to newer and, I sincerely pray, better pastures in a couple of months. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home