Anticipated Serendipity II

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Odissi : 27-29 May 2006

Ramli decided that we, the non-performing students i.e. those aside from the senior dancers who tour with him, should put on a show to display our hard work and effort we've put into our lessons..... soooo... WE'RE DOING A SHOW IN MAY!!! Yikes!

Gosh, the last time I did a REAL show was for Alarippu to Moksha last Jan. And the rehearsals for that show were gruelling! Every Sat @ 9am for at least 3 months (imagine waking up at 8am on Sat after a late nite out for salsa) and almost every nite towards the actual day itself! Phew! I foresee the same thing happening this time around... though I'm not really complaining coz I enjoy going for my classes/rehearsals coz I really work up a sweat and by the end of the class, I'd be drenched! It's a really good workout and as I always tell the others, doing Odissi is the only time I'd really really sweat!

Only problem is... we've gotta learn a totally new dance in less than 3 months! Some of us have been selected to learn Kolabati Pallavi to perform for this show... and I happen to be one of them. Ack! And I thought doing Night of Purnama Sthai was difficult enough. When I was just getting the hang of it, I find out that I'm not doing N of P but have to do a new dance instead *WAAIILL!* And it takes me like, 4-6 mths just to remember the steps and sequence of the moves before even starting on the fine-tuning of the details...

ok... I shouldn't complain. I'm gonna have the opportunity to learn a new dance!!! Already, the off-beat timing is driving me nuts... ahaha, this is gonna be interesting ;o)

But one this sucky abt this is that we're gonna be wearing our practice sarees and not the traditional Odissi saree :o( I find the practice saree rather boring for a performance.

Pics from A2M and Navarathri 2004...

And apparently, this Thursday, according to Chris, there's gonna be some TV production crew who's gonna be filming our class. Probably for a promo for the show?? THAT explains the phone call that I got from Sutra yesterday, asking me to wear my practice saree for class on Thursday. I thought that was a weird call coz we'd already been told to wear our sarees as often as we can so we'd get used to it for the performance. Wow! We're gonna be filmed! Ahaha! Let's hope we dun screw up too badly... :p

4 Comments:

  • Thats cool ! I had the opportunity to see the Sutra troupe in Dec and they were plain amazing.

    The girl Geetika, isn't she a kid? How old is she ?

    By Blogger Ranjana, at March 11, 2006 5:19 AM  

  • I think she's abt 12 or 13.

    Am glad u managed to catch the Sutra troupe in action :o)

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at March 12, 2006 2:33 AM  

  • My! Some poise she had for a kid of 13 !!!

    U know wat, I love the discipline in your movements. And there is a certain 'acrobatic' feel to the Deba Prasad Das gharana.

    Nrityagram is a very nice troupe too. Have you ever seen them perform? There's a cool video clip of them on http://www.mondaviarts.org/events/supplemental.cfm?supplemental_unique_id=47&event_id=146 . CHECK it out if u wish to :)

    Tc.

    By Blogger Ranjana, at March 13, 2006 3:15 AM  

  • Hehe... yeah... I guess these kids will acquire the poise when they're being groomed to be one of Sutra's senior dancers.

    Me, I enjoy Odissi but I can't afford to put in the time that they put in, what with work and all. But yes, I agree with u on the discipline and intricacy of the movements.

    I've heard of Nrityagram but have not had the opportunity to see them in action. Will check out the clip during my free time. Am at work now ;o)

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at March 13, 2006 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home