Anticipated Serendipity II

Friday, February 03, 2006

Wat is Love???

Extracts taken from This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Conversation between the lead character, Remy, and her mother, who's just been remarried for the 5th time.


Extract 1
She smiled at me. "You never know, Remy. Love is so unpredictable. Sometimes you'll know a man for years and then one day, boom! Suddenly you see him in a different way. And other times, it's that first date, that first moment. That's what makes it so great."


Extract 2
"God," I said, lowering my voice, "I don't see how you put up with him."

She smiled, reaching over to brush my hair out of my face. "He's not so bad."

"He's a big baby," I said. "And that Ensure thing would make me nuts."

"Maybe it would," she agreed. "But I love Don. He's a good man, he's kind to me. And no relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater. Yes, Don has habits that try my patience. And I'm sureI have plenty that do the same for him."...

"But," she went on... "the love we have for each other is bigger than these small differences. And that's the key. It's like a big pie chart, and the love in a relationship has to be the biggest piece. Love can make up for a lot, Remy."


Extract 3
"Love is a sham," I said...

"Oh honey, no!"... "You don't really believe that, do you?"

I shrugged. "I have yet to be convinced otherwise."

"Oh, Remy." She picked up my hand, folding her fingers around mine... "How can you say that?"

"... just because a few marriages didn't last doesn't make it a total wash. I had many good years with your father... The four years I was with Harold were wonderful, until the very end. And even with Martin and Win, I was happy for most of the time."

"But they did end, all of them," I said. "They failed."

"Maybe some people would say so... But I think, personally, that it would have been worse to have been alone all that time. Sure, maybe I would have protected my heart from some things, but would that really have been better? To hold myself apart because I was too scared that something might not be forever?"

"Maybe," I said... "Because at least then you're safe. The fate of your heart is your choice, and no one else gets a vote."

She considered this, really thinking about it, then said, "Well, it's true that I have been hurt in my life. Quite a bit. But it's also true that I have loved, and been loved. And that carries a weight of its own. A greater weight, in my opinion. It's like that pie chart we talked about earlier. In the end, I'll look back on my life and see that the greatest piece of it was love. The problems, the divorces, the sadness... those will be there too, but just smaller slivers, tiny pieces."

"I just think that you have to protect yourself," I said. "You can't just give yourself away."

"No," she said solemnly. "You can't. But holding people away from you, and denying yourself love, that doesn't make you strong. If anything, it makes you weaker. Because you're doing it out of fear."

"Fear of what?" I said.

"Of taking that chance," she said simply. "Of letting go and giving into it, and that's what makes us what we are. Risks. That's living, Remy. Being too scared to even try it -- that's just a waste.I can say I made a lot of mistakes, but I don't regret things. Because at least I didn't spend a life standing outside, wondering what living would be like."

5 Comments:

  • i see someone's been busily burying her nose in my book? :)

    By Blogger Ashkarya, at February 03, 2006 12:18 PM  

  • uh huh... uh huh... finished already :D and found out that asshole Don cheated on Remy's mother... bleecckkk...

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at February 03, 2006 2:33 PM  

  • i like sarah dessen's books. i especially like this lullaby. i like it better than dreamland. oh, her two new books are the truth about forever (paperback out in april) and just listen (hardback in april).

    By Blogger Ashkarya, at February 03, 2006 4:25 PM  

  • Hhmmm... it's ok la... better than average, I'd say. But I still like Twilight... gave me the chills (good chills) while reading it, hehe...

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at February 03, 2006 4:27 PM  

  • oooo...once i find my "luna", i'll lend it to you. that's another fantastic book. different from twilight but one of my all time faves and up there with twilight and flipped and a few others.

    By Blogger Ashkarya, at February 04, 2006 1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home