Anticipated Serendipity II

Thursday, March 29, 2007

To break or not to break?

Mix FM's "He Says, She Says..." segment every morning is quite entertaining to listen to. They will throw out a topic pertaining to the male-female gender and get callers to call in with their views.

Past topics include :

  • Why do women blame men for everything when things go wrong
  • Why do men blame everything but themselves when things go wrong
  • Men cheat for thrills, women cheat for attention
  • Women are better at managing money than men

The entertaining part is listening to the callers. Like the last topic above. It was yesterday's topic and this lady called up and started her spiel, which went something like this:

"Yes, it's so true. I give you an example of my man. They always spend spend spend. They never think of saving for tomorrow. They never think about whether we got food to eat tomorrow, or whether the children got enough money to go to school, or whether the wife got enough money to buy veggie. Then they come home and say "Hah, ikan again today ar" They earn five thousand ringgit and give the wife one thousand ringgit and come home and say "Hah, ikan again today ar"....."

It was damn funny, man, the way the lady was talking. But I guess to her, it was an outlet to vent. And boy, do we all sometimes need to vent, eh?

Yesterday evening, on my way home, they played a snippet of today's topic "When you've been going out for 5 years and haven't gotten married, maybe it's time to break it off."

Which brought back memories about my five-year relationship. And yes, we've broken it off. After the 5.5-year mark. Haha. That was about 3 yrs ago.

Pietro and Serena were of the opinion that people shouldn’t get married just because they have been together for n number of years. Ika said that she would break if off if she wasn’t married after going out for 2 years with a guy.

We didn’t break it off due to any reasons pertaining to marriage. We did briefly touch the topic once or twice during our relationship but it never went very much past the surface. I think one of the main reasons it didn’t work out was due to the distance (he was halfway around the world) and also coz our priorities and goals had changed. At that time, I was quite naive and idealistic. “Oh, distance no problem lar. Can handle one.” Hah, yeah right. That’s a lesson for being so idealistic and having such high expectations.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand, hhhhmmm, would I get pressured to get married after being in a relationship for n years? Depends what I want at that point in time lor. If I wanted to have a family, then maybe I would. But knowing me, the reason I’d want to get married would be NOT because I want a family but coz I love the guy that much that I’d want to spend the rest of my life with him. But then again, if having a family is secondary, then why even need to get married? Hhhmmm...

Tomorrow’s topic on “He Says, She Says…”

“Are men or women more paranoid when their partners hang out with their exes?”

* where n = the number of years one feels is sufficiently long to be in a relationship and the next step would be marriage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home