Anticipated Serendipity II

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gambuh

For the past 2 nights, I was at a workshop to learn the basics of one of Bali's ancient dance forms, Gambuh.

Wow, I don't think I've ever used my fingers, arms, and shoulders so much before! It's rather hard to explain the dance style in words... it has much more impact when seen live so I won't even try describing it.

Our instructor was this oldish man (maybe around his late 40s - I could be grossly mistaken since dancers seems to always look younger than their actual age!) whose fingers are so agile and his expressions are like, wow! Especially his eyes. He's a master in the Gambuh Balinese dance.

The workshop was held at Sutra. I like it that they occasionally bring in other dance masters to expose us to other dance forms.

Read more at the Tri Pusaka Sakti website.

3 Comments:

  • Hi Ai Ling,
    What dance are you learning? Kecak, Ramayana, Barong, or the trance dance?

    I watched these dances back in Oct 2005, in Bali. Personally, I think Kecak was most interesting.

    But I gather that one needs to learn from very young age...

    By Blogger khengsiong, at February 14, 2007 11:21 AM  

  • Oh sorry, the dance is Gambuh. I didn't watch it in Bali...

    By Blogger khengsiong, at February 14, 2007 11:35 AM  

  • I've yet to go to Bali... but will make sure to catch these dances there when I do ;-)

    For dance, I think it's ideal to start at a young age... gives u more time to hone the skills and techniques, not to mention the fact that we're more flexible as kids!

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at February 15, 2007 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home