Anticipated Serendipity II

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Common Courtesy & Unemployment

I've heard employers complaining about how candidates that have been shortlisted for interviews just dun show up for interviews and never bother to call.

Now, I feel that this is really disrespectful and inconsiderate of them. I mean, if you dun wanna attend an interview for whatever reason, just call the employer and give some reason (lie, if you have to) that you won't be able to attend. Dun just NOT call and make them wait for you like they've got nothing better to do.

Which then brings me to the employer's aspect. If you've already filled in a previously vacant position and you're still receiving resumes from potential candidates, just drop them an email with a one-liner saying "Sorry, this position has already been filled. Thank you for your interest." instead of making them send follow-up email after follow-up email, wondering whether their email got thru coz they haven't received any reply. I know employers are REALLY busy ppl and all, but is it that difficult to keep a template and copy-paste the same response to multiple ppl just to inform them of the current status of their application?

Now, is that SO difficult to do on anyone's part????? A little courtesy goes a long way, u know...

**********
I've been unemployed for a total of 3 working days now, going to 4. And I'm already starting to get restless, hehe. I dun think I can ever stay unemployed for long, mainly coz of the interruption to my income stream *gasp!* Unless I happen to strike the lottery (100% unlikely seeing that I dun even buy lottery tickets) or happen to have an extremely generous benefactor (also 100% unlikely)... then I can afford a little luxury of relaxing a bit.

So, now on to more job hunting. And I'm being quite picky coz I wanna make sure I'm ok with the work and also the environment so that I can stay there for as long as possible. All this switching jobs is not very conducive to productivity or morale. At the end of the day, I've gotta be realistic. I dun have to love the job. As long as I dun hate it and it pays the bills and allows me to have some sort of a life, then why not???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home