Anticipated Serendipity II

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What to do with people you are not fond of...

What do you do when you are in a situation where you are about to bump into someone whom you don't like or don't wish to meet?

Recently, I was in this unfortunate situation. From the corner of my eye, I saw a couple of people whom I didn't wish to meet or talk to. And I know they'd seen me. So wat did I do? I was far away enough and in such an angle that it would be quite natural that I didn't notice them. So I just stared straight ahead at my destination and made my way there. It was a good thing that I was late meeting a friend so I was naturally in a hurry.

When dealing with people that I'm not fond of, my policy is to stay away and have as little to do with them as possible. If I don't like a person, I will not spend time talking about him/her to others. Unlike some other people who seem to enjoy discrediting those that they don't like to anyone who'd listen. As Audrey had written about me once, "When AL runs across someone she dislikes, she doesn't start a big campaign to destroy/challenge their ideals/motives. She simply avoids them!"

I like my policy :-)

**********
I apply the same policy when it comes to unwanted attention from the opposite sex.

Over the years, my friends and I shared with each other the different methods which we use to handle members of the opposite sex who'd shown interest in us but the interest was not reciprocated.

Some only needed to give subtle hints and the other party understood and backed off. Some had to give not-so-subtle hints before the other party saw the light. Others (myself included) removed ourselves completely from the situation when the above failed. This meant that any communication from the interested party was not entertained i.e. calls, emails, any form of messages were deliberately ignored. Sounds harsh but sometimes, desperate situations require desperate measures when all else fails. And in some situations, desperate measures ARE required in order to get the message across to the other party. As the Chinese sayings goes "Short term pain is better than long term pain" or something to that measure. No use in prolonging the pain if your presence is only going to make the other person yearn for you more but you can't reciprocate his/her feelings.

**********
Unfortunately, when it comes to working with people I don't like, I don't have the luxury to stay away and make myself scarce. If the nature of work necessitates working with a person I don't like, I have to hide my dislike and get the work done.

Ah well, if it has to be done, it has to be done, rite? I win some, and lose some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home