Anticipated Serendipity II

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hope is the thing with feathers...

by Emily Dickinson


Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

This was referenced in A Wrinkle in Time, a book series by Madeleine L'Engle (collection of 4 books). Was watching the movie just now and it made me recall the collection of Emily Dickinson's poems which we had to learn in English Lit for SPM, and this was one of the poems.

Some of her other poems that were our SPM list:
A Narrow Fellow in the Grass
Because I Could Not Stop for Death
Success Is Counted Sweetest

Interesting how easily we can remember certain things from so long ago...

I was never good at deciphering hidden meanings between the lines of poems. My Eng. Lit teacher, Mrs Chen, used to drill and drill us to think "What's the poet really trying to say? Think, girls, THINK!" and I'm thinking, "Gah! Why can't she just say exactly wat she really thinks?! My brain's hurting from thinking so much!" Haha... I'm not one for poems. Life is short, time is of essence. Just gimme the facts, straight up. Hehe... guess you won't hear me singing sonnets anytime soon (Is that right? Do ppl sing sonnets? See, I dun even know! Haha!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home