Anticipated Serendipity II

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

More on Odissi

Ranjie, this post is for you ;o)

If you haven't already seen how our practice saree looks like, you can refer to my old post.

As for pics of me dancing, erm, I dun have that many but you can check out my sis' site here, she's into photography and has taken quite a no. of pics of our Odissi performances. Click on Public Albums and scroll down the page. You should be able to see a few albums on Odissi and one on Navarathri.

Yeah, I know wat u mean abt faltering when ur teacher is watching u dance. Same thing happens to me sometimes when Ramli's watching. Like the other day, we were having a rehearsal for our upcoming performance. We were doing Lalitha Lavanga, and towards the end, instead of doing wat I was supposed to do, I went a step ahead and did something else! *GASP!* And mind u, we've done this dance (and all the other dances) like, a gazillion times!

And I've just realized that our performance is NEXT WEEKEND! ACK!! *chewing on nails*

3 Comments:

  • Thanks a gazillion (!) I hope u have'nt copyrighted that term !!

    From the look of it, u and ur sis never go anywhere without cameras....that must be so much fun.

    I've seen ur practice saree but I wanted to see your class in action, which I did.

    Talking of Lalitha Lavanga, I love it, it sounds sooooo b'ful. And Nachanti Range Srihari too. I'm singing Nachanti for our thing on Sunday.

    Two days to go....i'm getting the jitters too, what if I can't manage the description of Lord Shiva with a snake where I need to to stand on one leg in tribhanga and ....and again, when I know my Guru is going to be observing every move, its scary.

    My favourite part in mangalacharan is the time we prostrate ourselves after offering flowers. Its like how u go to sleep after a bad day, if u know what I mean !

    By Blogger Ranjana, at May 20, 2006 1:52 AM  

  • Haha! No, sadly, I dun have any claims on 'gazillion'... hehe...

    U saw the pics?? Hope u enjoyed them! Haha, well, my sister doesn't go anywhere without her camera. Me, I'm just too lazy to lug it around ;o)

    Wow, u sing too!!! Gawd, u're like, a multi-talented genius, aren't u?? ;o)

    I dunno if Nachanti Range Srihari is part of our syllabus though. But yes, Lalitha Lavanga is nice. I just need to work a lot more on the abhinaya part. Same for Mohane Deli Chahi.

    Oooooo... the mangalacharans that we do dun have any prostrating. Ours have us moving to the front of the stage and throwing out flowers. At least, for Lakya Sindura and Bakra Tunda. These are the 2 that we've learnt so far.

    Dun worry, u'll do great!!! Just zone out whoever's watching and pretend that u're dancing for urself ;o) I know i know, easier said than done but it works for me :o)

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at May 20, 2006 11:37 AM  

  • Hehe....nothing much of a genius in that ! Been singing for a long time, atleast no jitters about that.

    The mangalacharan we do has an invocatory shloka on Ganesh....which goes...namami vighna raja tvam..kalpavrikshaya tala sthitam.....

    Yesterday's mangalacharan went prety OK, but I felt faint while going round on one leg with an imaginary snake in my hand and almost collapsed. So I had to bring that one foot back on earth !That would have been quite a scene !

    By Blogger Ranjana, at May 23, 2006 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home