Anticipated Serendipity II

Thursday, March 09, 2006

My mouse broke his leg....

Just got the strangest phone call.

Her : Hallo, may I speak to Ai Ling?
Me : Yes, speaking.
Her : This is [somenamethaticouldntfigureout]. U're with SPCA rite? My mouse broke his leg. What should I do ah?
Me : *thinking* HUH?!
Me : *talking* Oh... umm... u should take him to the vet. Do u have a vet that u normally go to?
Her : No... my mouse is healthy, I dun take him to the vet.
Me : *thinking* U dun have a vet?! U still need to take ur mouse for shots and checkups!
Me : *talking* Umm... well, u should take him to the vet coz if u break ur leg, u would go to a doctor, rite? U call the SPCA also they cannot do anything. They'll direct u to the vet. Which area are u staying at?
Her : Loke Yew. Actually, the other day, I called up a medical center and they told me that it will be costly to put in a pin to join the bones back together.
Me : *thinking* DUH! U think ur doctor will join ur bones back together for free ah?!
Me : *talking* ok... never mind. When did ur mouse break his leg?
Her : Actually, I'm not really sure. But I found out 2 days ago when I was showering him.
Me : *thinking* U found out ur mouse broke his leg TWO DAYS AGO and u still haven't taken him to the vet?! Wat the...???!!!!
Me : *talking* Oh... like that ah... Do u know Taman Segar? There's a vet there, Segar Animal Clinic. Do u know where it is?
Her : No
Me : Oh... like that ah... let me look for the number and call u back.
Her : Oh, thank u.
Me : By the way, where did u get my number from?
Her : From the website lor.
Me : Oh, the SPCA newsletter, is it?
Her : Yah
Me : Ok... let me look for the number and I SMS it to u.

ok... I dunno why she decided to call ME on my handphone rather than the MAIN SPCA no. but the reason my no.'s on the SPCA's site is coz I'm involved in their Spay/Neuter Campaign for Cats, where the SPCA subsidizes a certain amount (or entire amount) for the surgery to encourage the lower income population to spay/neuter their cats to reduce the strays. We (there's 3 of us) are to filter the callers to make sure they're eligible for the subsidy and not just some rich, free-loader who can buy big, fancy cars but can't pay 100 bucks to fix their cat(s).

See, I just checked their site... and my no.'s waaaaaayyy down below the page under the Spay and Neuter Immediately Please (SNIPS) campaign. At which part did she see "Call this no. for any pet injuries?!"???!!! Maybe she just saw "free of charge" and decided to try her luck. BAH! How come ppl can spend tons of other stuff (cars, clothes, electronic equipement... all inanimate, non-living objects) but REFUSE to spend a bit on their living, loving pets???!!!! GAAAAHH!!! Drives me NUTS!!!

SMS-ed her the vet's no. I hope her mouse heals... poor mousey... suffering due to his owner's ignorance... sigh...

6 Comments:

  • Yea, people so hate to spend on pets. When ur pets are ill, u abandon them or kill them. Because why shd u waste money on treating an 'animal' ?, That is a sick attitude and the way so-called 'educated' people display these attitudes is even worse.

    By Blogger Ranjana, at March 13, 2006 3:19 AM  

  • Yeah... I know!! It's soooo infuriating, isn't it??? Gggggrrrrr.... makes me soooo mad!!!

    Btw, which part of India are u in?

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at March 13, 2006 10:07 AM  

  • Bombay.

    I especially remember this incident that took place when I was in junior college. We found this cuttteeee black pup abandoned outside college and brought it in. We were hanging around the staffroom bcoz some of our teachers were busy calling up animal shelters and the like to see if anyone could take them in. I placed the dog on a chair in the staffroom and one of the teachers yelled, " Take him off the chair. How can you keep an 'animal' on a teacher's chair. THAT was so damnnn sickening. I mean, these animals depend on us, but that doesn't mean they r inferior or something.

    I had a good fight with her about this and she came around to my point of view in a way...

    By Blogger Ranjana, at March 13, 2006 9:41 PM  

  • I especially HATE it when ppl make references to animals re. the vile things that humans do e.g. when there's a rape case reported in the news, some stoopid ppl would say things like "even animals wouldn't do something like that". I mean, come on! Animals mate solely to reproduce and are guided by instinct. Not like some maniac who DECIDES to rape someone else just to satisfy his uncontrolled desire.

    I dun think I'll ever understand why ppl makes these sort of references. It's such an insult to the animal species.

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at March 14, 2006 9:49 AM  

  • The SPCA does good work out here too, but some other organisatons just mint money in the name of animals....

    By Blogger Ranjana, at March 15, 2006 12:07 AM  

  • Over here, we dun have enuf animal welfare organizations. Only one SPCA branch to handle animal welfare issues in the entire state! So they're always underspaced and sometimes understaffed. I try to help out with their outreach programs when I've got the time (like SNIPS).

    By Blogger Ai Ling, at March 15, 2006 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home